Sunday, June 5, 2011

Jesus, My Father, the CIA and Me

I enjoyed the beginning chapters of this book. The author's father was involved in the CIA so it was a real page turner for me. But then that story ended after a few chapters and the author talked of his struggles growing up. The amusing descriptions of his experiences sprinkled throughout the book were unexpected and I loved that. His story of partaking of 'The Host' and stealing it is stinkin' hilarious! He also shared some of his daredevil shenanigans. And he drank alot. And it looked like he was well on the way to becoming like his alcoholic Dad. So I wanted to stop reading cause I don't like 'Drunk and out of control Dad' stories. But I didn't. And I am so glad I didn't!!

Because what really kept my interest was his mom. And Ian Cron described her so beautifully......in person and in spirit. I admired her commitment to her alcoholic husband and her drive to do the best she could in her life for her children. I loved the fact that after her husband died, she kept living! I am quoting the author, "Our parents are mysteries to us. No matter how close we think we are to them, we cannot know the content of their hearts. We don't know the disappointments, or the scars and regrets that wake them in the night, or the moments for which they wish they could get a do-over." In my simple mind, THIS is wise insight. And it touches my heart.

Ian did find life after drinking through a wise Christian counselor. Ian was able to be a Dad for his children that his own Dad was not able to be for him. Life is not easy but Jesus WILL make a difference. And in Ian's life, Jesus DID!!

This book was provided for me by Book Sneeze for an honest review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home